Friday, December 28, 2012

Such a big baby!

This morning Giles woke from his morning nap and stood in the middle of the living room and cried. He whined and whimpered (he didn't bark) and cried.

I immediately checked him for 'hurts'. I thought maybe he rolled over on something or stepped on something. I checked his paws and ran my hands over his whole body to see if there was something hurting him, a place I touched that might make him yelp. He seemed to be fine, and didn't seem to whimper or whine harder or louder.

I tried to give him treats, clean water (be it said I just gave him clean water 2 hours before this all started) and new food. He didn't want anything to do with that (but he did eat the cheese. Oh yes, he did!) but he still cried. I tried to take him for a walk, thinking he had to 'go' and again, nothing. And I really mean nothing.

When we got back in the apartment, he didn't lay down or eat but stood and continued crying. I tried cuddles and petting and he wouldn't lay down or move, just cried. I kept saying "Giles, what do you want? What can I do?" I've had him a week today and hadn't seen any sort of behavior like this so I had no idea what to do.

Then, he took three steps toward the bedroom door and stopped and looked at me over his shoulder. I thought maybe he wanted a toy from the bedroom or his other blanket. When he saw I was watching him, I was a few steps behind him and was still talking to him, he took about three more strides and took a flying leap onto the center of the bed.

He walked himself in a circle and flopped down, then lay there looking at me, grinning and panting. I said okay and walked out of the room, and then the crying, whining, whimpering started again full throttle. I went back in and sat on the edge on the bed, and he stopped crying and put his head down.

Hmmmmmm... I tried a little experiment. I walked out of the bedroom and he cried I went in and sat down and he stopped. I did this a couple times.

Gee, problem solved. I stretched out on the bed, propped myself on a pile of pillows, and Giles then wiggled and  waggled and moved and stretched. So not only did he want to sleep on the bed, but he wanted me to be there with him; alone would obviously would not work. I'm so not kidding. The crying stopped and this is what he looked like when he fell asleep:


Yes, he's under his blankie and yes his head is resting on a pillow. I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it myself.

Yup, he's such a big baby!

Doggie cuddin',
A girl and her Grey



1 comment:

  1. How cute! Maybe he had a bad dream that woke him up and he just didn't get enough nap and wanted "Mommy" close by.

    ReplyDelete