Friday, December 21, 2012

Day 1- He's here!

So, Giles is home. The adoption process is somewhat akin to adopting a baby, from what I'm told by those who've adopted a baby. So it's hearsay but still an arduous process whether dog or baby. But he's here.

We drove to pick him up, about a 22 minute car ride, according to the OnStar directions downloaded to the car. Of course this has been the mildest winter on RECORD until the night Gile's comes home and it's snowing,sleeting, icy, and the Weather Channel has us under a wind advisory along with a winter storm warning. So of course we're going for a 22 minute drive on the Interstate to pick up my 5 year old Greyhound. What else would one do in such weather?

He's been in foster care since April, minus 2 weeks he spent at another 'forever home' as we call it in the dog adoption game. Apparently their forever was 2 weeks in length since Giles killed their cat (but  that's a story for another post!). The foster people are really nice- obviously since they foster Greyhounds- and since we had met them- and Giles- before, we weren't surprised at his size or anything. They spent an hour going over all the paperwork with us, and rules, and the like. Then it was time to go!

We took him out the front door, on a leash, to get into a car. Two of those three things were new. First, he has always ridden in trucks or SUVs so my Chevy Cruze was an experience. Also, he had never used the front door at the foster home so that was interesting because of all the news smells and sights! Oh and he was on a leash with new people and his familiar humans stayed inside while we got him squared away. And did I mention is was snowing? Also something new, since he came from a track in the south... So many more than 2 new things!

But whew, we survived.

Mister drove the car and I sat in the back with Giles. He stood on my thighs most of the ride. Panting in my face. He weighs 69 pounds, of solid muscles, so standing on my thighs made an impression, which is still black and blue. He did fine on the drive, but was scared, which is completely understandable!

Upon arrival he walked really well to the apartment and just went inside. I talked nice to him the whole time and showed him around. He immediately flopped on the big pillow you see.

I sat on the floor and pet him for a few hours and we watched TV, then took a walk.

I attempted to convince and coax him into his crate for sleepy time but he was having none of it. He whined and cried so I let him out and he spent the first night, and all subsequent nights, on the pillow, on the floor, next me, beside the bed.

And that's the first day with my dog, Giles.

Licks and pants,
A girl and her grey



2 comments:

  1. He's a very handsome fellow. Hey, I'm a new aunt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!
    And you are Auntie Curley, proud auntie of a Greyt Grey!

    ReplyDelete